Monday, April 25, 2016

Since I had no new doll kits to start today, I revisited a doll who was having difficulties becoming. Last year some time I tried opening the eyes and mouth of Robin from Bountiful baby. This photo was taken in May as I tried to use acetone to stretch and smooth his eyelids.

No matter what I tried, to insert new eyes, nothing worked. I poured bottles of glue on every trick I knew to create some sort of vision for him.


I am amazed as I look back through these old photos to see that he was looking this good in June. For some reason I kept working on his eyes and they kept getting worse. Finally I made him into a bundle baby because I felt his limbs were wasted on his bad eyes. I can see how uneven his face is, which probably added to my dislike of his eyes. At some point, while trying to clean up the gunk around his eyes I decided to open his mouth.


In July he still had his little tongue. I can barely see the gunk around his eyes that bothered me so much in reality. I do not understand the spirits that move and live in the studio. I only know that today I started pulling stuffing out of his head, loosened bunches of dried glue which I pulled out in long strings. I spent two hours trying to tape, with duct tape, new eyes into his skull. Nothing worked.  The tape made a mess of everything. Finally I gave up and decided to just stuff his head back with brown fur fabric behind the holes. At the last second  before attaching his body, I tried once more to slip his eyes in from the front. It worked! the fur held them in place. So I had created a problem for myself and by working and reworking it, was able to solve it again.  I love the tiny almost open eyes as if they are on a very sleepy baby. I may  buy this kit and try opening his eyes again now that I know better what to do.


Robin as he is today. The photos  reveal the changes the afternoon made in him and  they almost show how much I learned. It was a good day for both of us. I sat to cuddle him in celebration of all we had gone through together.

No comments:

Post a Comment