Wednesday, April 27, 2016

It was too cool in the studio this morning to sit there, so even though I knew all the babies had not had their limbs stuffed, I stayed inside to make three baby bodies. By afternoon I was headed to the studio with a handful of bodies, eager to assemble them and get the babies into them. First, however, I had to stuff limbs. Since I had started by picking up Ming Yen, the biggest of them all, it took me even longer to stuff her limbs before I could start putting her in her body. She is a sweetie to work with so the work went quickly with no speed bumps.

It seemed to me that her face looked cleaner and her forehead was higher than on her sisters. I looked more closely. True. Evidently the Chinese have  poured new kits in her mold with another recipe for the vinyl. I noticed, while stuffing her limbs, that they were a lot softer than on previous babies. I think this is what the Chinese are now calling their silicone vinyl. True it is much softer than older vinyl kits and it may have some silicone mixed in the unmolded vinyl but she is not a silicone baby. I am excited about the idea of mixing silicone (which is too wobbly and attracts dirt, hair and threads too easily) and the vinyl which most of us prefer for reborns for greater softness and a much more skin-like feel.
Later in the afternoon, while working on Baby Ben, the new Berenguer baby with 1/4 limbs, I found I was not happy with my attempt to fill his limbs. His arms are too stiff. I could, if I would, put tucks in his 'knees' and 'elbows' to allow them to have a natural bend.


He looks as if he has starch in his veins. My other option is to let his body be a bundle baby's since he would be swaddled in a blanket. I do like the shape of his mouth. I think I am too tired to make such a decision tonight. I was touched, after I had found jammies for both of them, that Ming-Yen wanted to hold his hand while they sat on the bench.


Maybe by morning all three of us will know better what to do. My eye tonight keeps putting tucks in Ben's limbs. Ben needs more bends in his body. Now you know how I talk when tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment