Friday, January 15, 2016

The automatic date on this entry is accurate, but I am wishing I had written the blog yesterday when I was 'supposed' to. I was working in the morning on Punkin and we were having great time together. I was almost ready to tie him into his body when the phone interrupted us. It was an old friend I had repeatedly invited to come visit my dolly studio. In a whole year she has never found time to stop in on her many trips a week past our house. I was so glad to hear from her and to finally have her coming by that I warmly welcomed her idea for our afternoon. Poor Punkin got put on hold as I dashed around trying to organize the several piles in the living room. Because I knew she was coming at two, I somehow felt I had to use every spare minute to redo this and that, hide those things, bring forward the newest babies to show her.
Two o'clock came with renewed vigor in the rain storm as roads turned into stream beds. She did not come. Water was running or puddling on every surface. I turned on the studio lights hoping she would remember she could come in that way in the rain as it was closer to her car. Nothing. The room filled with my nervousness. I started a peace pal. Still nothing. Nothing helped. So I called her home to see if she had trouble getting out on their unpaved road and only got the machine. I was then quieter as I figured she and her husband were out the storm together. The crocheting on the peace pal went better. The next time I looked at the clock I was shocked how late it was and she still had not come. Then well after 3 o'clock she comes strolling in. Nothing happen, nothing delayed her, she just took her time (and mine!) In my relief that she was finally here I relaxed and let her talk about all the things she was interested in (her various aches and pains). At 4 I was very ready for her to go but more than a little disappointed she had not looked at any of the dolls. So I tried to show her some hoping that if she did not want to see them she would leave. No such luck. She coughed up the smallest phrases, none of praise, about the dollies. She only pointed out my errors in the peace pals instead of appreciating their idea and purpose. In desperation I started edging her toward the door. It took her 45 minutes to put on her coat and shoes! I thought I was going to kip over from my black exhaustion. I just sat it a chair and leaned my head on my hand. Finally she left. And then seconds later came back to tell me my studio light was on. Finally she was gone. I got a drink of water and
hobbled back into the living room studio, plopped in my chair and closed my eyes for a nap before I had to start dinner in 20 minutes.  After one deep calming breath I heard WR coming down the stairs. No, not now! Let me rest the few minutes I have. Don't make me start dinner now. Suddenly I wished for my cold damp studio as hiding place.
I dutifully got and ate dinner and fell into bed. In the middle of the night the pain woke me and would not let me sleep until I had kicked myself around the block for not having the courage to tell her she had come over an hour late and the time for her visit was nearly up. I should have gone to bed and taken the nap my body wanted even in her stream of talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment