Sunday, January 17, 2016


First of all is my memorial for Jim Grenwhelge who did so very much for Gualala Arts in every way he could. He was there when I worked there and I came to admire him very much. I remember one Christmas someone made the decision to take goods from the shops in town and to display them as if they were works of art worthy if being in a gallery. Silently with closed lips I had my thoughts about this project but when I saw Jim had done with the items, he had truly made an exhibit of works of art from positioning and arranging ordinary things with the heart and appreciation of an artist. He pulled it off perfectly and from then on I knew he was the best hanger of shows in the center. Occasionally he would make a piece for a show. He raised gourds and tried all different ways of using them for the different themes of the shows. One year he entered this gourd fairy house which was like nothing else in the show, so it really appealed to me.  I bought it for $65., made Jim glow with happiness that his work sold, and put up with the disregard here at home. When I heard the other day that Jim had died on Thursday, due to ALS, the fairy house became even more precious to me. This morning as I was putting away the candles from the power outage last night, I saw in my mind this memorial to Jim. I hope he is not too busy in heaven, to take time to look down and see how someone appreciated his efforts. Thanks Jim, it was a joy to know you.

For some reason the power being out last night threw all my sleep schedules into chaos. I woke at 3:00 ready for the day but the additional rain and gray clouds kept the windows dark until almost 8.
I had planned to make babies today, but by the time breakfast was over I had worn myself waiting for the day and I needed a nap. I went back to bed, piled pillows on me for warmth and slept until noon. Somehow I have the idea that my mornings are my best time and the time I usually give to making babies. Today, with my birthday breathing down my neck and making me wish I had never been born there was not enough good, clean, pure energy for the babies, so here they are waiting . I cannot even hope that things will be better tomorrow, so they wait.

I gave the afternoon to the cradle purses by bringing in the basket from the studio. I finished what I had started and while looking for a new thing to do, remembered Ling-Yen's idea of making little cocoons for them. That went very well and I am happy with the results.


Even these little babies look happy in these outfits. I was able to insert the music buttons so they each play "Amazing Grace."
It rained all day long today but because WR had dug out the ditch around the studio no water at all came in. This was a real test. A few more days of this kind of success and I may be moving back into the studio. This cheers me much more than having another birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment