Monday, January 25, 2016


Candy greeted me on the work table on this rainy, dark gray morning. I was very glad for her sweet looks to start the day. She has the full length legs which are always a little different to make (you can see the blue circle lying there waiting on its strings). Actually the full-leg connection only takes a few minutes more to make if you do not count the time hand-hemming it.


Before noon Candy was in the try-out chair. I love this moment. Suddenly she is a personality, no longer  just vinyl parts on a tray. I love her 'okay, now what are we going to do?' attitude. She keeps me going, with a smile on my face.


Morgan, because he is such a little guy, goes together very quickly so I had him in the chair before lunch. I am teaching him to smile. Some days he can do it and on other attempts we have to wait while the smile creeps up to his lips. He really tries, You can see him hunching his shoulders with effort. That is part of the training to be a therapy doll so he gives it his all.


I had forgotten that I had not sewn Kameko's body so we had to take time out to do that. Morgan and Candy got a big kick out of watching the machine sewing together the pieces of fabric that would be her. She even turned her head on the tray to watch. Normally when I work in the outside studio no one watches me sewing bodies because that is one step I make in the house alone. There were lots of giggles and whistles while Kameko had to patiently wait for her body.


By late afternoon she was on the chair wiggling into her new body. If you look at her very quickly you can catch her smiling.. At first I thought her cheeks were too rosy but I think it is because of the cold she has a bit more color. Every one picked out their pajamas and let me put them in the harness I use to keep their heads held high while they crawl for the Etsy photos. All of us are hoping for some sunshine tomorrow.
After cleaning up from making these three, (poly fill flies everywhere) I was able to go to the other studio to open a new box of kits from Bountiful Baby that WR had just brought home from the post office. I was so glad to get the kits for babies I want to photograph for Etsy, so I started right in on them. You can see I got the eyes in and off to the side is another tray with arms and legs. All the nails are manicured and I will paint them in the morning. My hands are too shaky by evening to try to apply the polish.


Meet the new crew. That is Eliza on the left, then Elsie, and finally little Kaydance. Looking at this photo I think her eyes are too bright blue. That was the only pair of really small eyes I had so I will have to be happy with the lightness of her newborn eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment