Monday, December 7, 2015

They look innocent enough, but I am sure all dolls are in communication with one another and especially the ones who have untied their arms and legs have formed a pact. When you first try out the elastic cord all their parts jump into place, tight against the body. Then when the doll-maker begins to tie off the cords, no matter how tightly she tugs on them, and how tightly every part is pulled in place, as soon as a knot is made the doll drops off arms and legs or lets the head flop around like a spaz. The only way I could keep everything in its rightful place was to put the clothes on the doll. The diaper held the legs in place, the t-shirt steadied the neck connection, and shirt sleeves held the arms on right. I had forgotten how much bicep strength doll-making required. It also demands a certain dexterity of fingers to hold the tension on a cord and tie a knot in it.  I am on the lookout for a new wig. This one feels too short and small, but I like the color.


All together I feel she now looks more like a little boy and after struggling with the knots and all her parts I think she is definitely male. Her name is now Willie - will he? It is so different to hold and carry around such a baby with a hard, unyielding body. I expected a hug back from him as I carried him in to the living room, but there was nothing. So I just plunked him down in front of the bookcase without finding him a good place.


Around his legs I set the other dolls I re-strung today and then realized they at least deserved their own photos on the bear rug. Here Willie's haircut looks like the ones boys had in the 50s. He was surely already 50 years old then. What you can hardly see here is the hole in his head. They did not send back enough chips so he looks like a bloodless victim of a drive-by shooting.

The only way I could keep all this kewpee's joints connected was to pose cupid on her back. She too pulled the old trick on me of letting her cords go loose once they were tied.


The Storybook doll was easier to do because someone taped her legs in place so I only had to connect both arms and her head. Still if you touch her she will drop her head against your palm. Darn.

This little bisque boy was hardly worth the elastic to tie his arms and legs on but weirdly enough, his went on almost perfectly. With that big part of his head missing and the cracks and poor repairs on his face along with the paint chipping off his shoes, he is worthless. I can get a newish old one, at least one without cracks and missing parts, on eBay for $10! I may go shopping tonight! I still have a Christmas wish or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment