Saturday, September 12, 2015

No photos from yesterday. On Thursday afternoon when I wiped down the week's crew I noticed the new auction kit had the head with booby eye sockets but thought since I had done a head recently with the stemmed eyes from Amazon, this would be no problem. Boy was I wrong. I worked the rest of the afternoon on those eyes. One section of the socket was so thin it would not hold the eyeball in place. I would get it in right and then watch inside the head to see the thin vinyl bend and slowly give way so the eyeball would slide out.
I thought that with new energy on Friday morning the job would be "a piece of cake." It turned out to be devil's food. After an hour I gave up to search out a new head. I found Milo, the brother to the Dolly Lama and his eyes went in without trouble. It does pay to be related to the spiritual. But when I got to the next doll it was as if there was an eye disease because these eyes too would not go in and stay. I knew they were a size too big but in the past I have used eyes of a bit more generous nature and could get them to stay put. I did not want to hold up the whole crew to wait for the proper size eyes so I got out a similar sized head - Joey's. I do not like the sculpt's inward bottom lip so cut his lips open so I could put in a pacifier to cover up that fault. I worked and worked with the eyes but what had failed to inform me was that a similar size head would need the smaller eyeballs of the other one. Joey's eyes did not fit properly and his neck, like the one on the other smaller doll, was so tiny I could not use my tools and see what I was doing. I would put glue in around the sockets and sit to watch the eyeballs slide out of arrangement. It was almost spooky. I stuffed limbs while waiting for the glue to firm up. I finally wore out the glue from moving it so much that I had to add more. I stuffed in the cottony poly-fill time and time again they would move. When I would retract the stuffer stick out would come the whole mass of sticky cotton-like stuff. Finally at 6:00, with so little done I set the eyes properly, leaned the heads so when the eyes slipped it would be in the right direction, and came inside for dinner.
So my first job this morning will be to see where everyone's eyes are or what they have been looking at all night!

No comments:

Post a Comment