Friday, September 25, 2015

I had my day all planned. I cut out five bodies hoping to get the right sizes made  for the babies waiting on the trays. I got the smallest body sewn first so tried it on Phillip.
The body seemed to fit perfectly, until I added the head. It was obvious now the body was way too small. I tried to get back to sewing bodies but then came lunch, the mail, the ICO, a rest and the day was slipping away. I did have the energy to get Phillip out of his too small body so I would not cramp his style overnight. As I was carrying the limp body around the studio, I was wondering where I could put it so I remembered I had it when I notice another wooden tray on the shelf.
Ah things were working out! I had set this babe aside because I needed smaller eyes for it and today a tiny package of eyes had surprisingly arrived from China. The Universe wanted this baby done today. I was on the right track. The new eyes slipped in so quickly I had the feeling someone else was putting this one together. That meant I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. Good feeling. Onward toward new babies.


Here is the result of replacing the eyes 5 times. Every time I wiggled the head the left eye would move into a new unwanted place. I would take out most of the stuffing and replace the eye and use my finger to stick it where I thought it belonged. One time I actually lost the eyeball in the head and had to take out even more stuffing just to find it! Finally I wised up, straightened the eyes, wiped off the excess glue to set it aside in a still place to dry and hopefully stay in place.
Since there was still some day left over I tried putting this baby's limbs into Phillip's 'old' body. All was going great. The afternoon was cool, there was still diet ginger ale in the can, and I was able to find the perfect fit for the body. And then.
I thought I took a photo but was evidently too upset to record the problem. The baby had two right arms! It has made in China, I do not remember when I got it and had no idea of who the seller was or the name or number of the doll. Used to adversary, I found a tiny sleeper with the mittens sewn on. With that one cannot tell the left arm is pointing the wrong way. Eager to see how the head  looked I put it on only to find the jiggling had moved the left eye again. Calmly I untied the head, took out the stuffing, and re-positioned the eyes. I have no idea why the head seems to tilt. . . And I see I forgot to draw in the eyebrows! This seems a good place to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment