Monday, July 13, 2015

To my surprise in the studio I had only three more doll kits to work with. Three kits were set aside waiting on some 18 mm eyes and four were in a bag waiting for me to figure out how to do the eyes. No one told me the eye sockets were made for the hand-blown glass eyes. Those have a shape like a big boob behind the eye. There was no way I could use a glass eyeball for therapy babies and no way on earth that I would pay $28. per pair. That is over my kit-price allowance.
 A couple of weeks ago I had tried to use one of these kits with this eye situation, so I spent hours trying to get the eye to sit close to the eyelid and not fall back into the socket. I stuffed the socket with poly-fill and later even sculpy unbaked but it was only several days of applying different kinds of glue that I got them fixed in place. In the meantime I had gotten the idea to make  shape like a big Hersey's chocolate kiss to fill the space and press against the back of the eyeball.
I was finally forced to try it or I would not have enough babies to work on this week. It worked. You can see the eye I got in and the other shapes still in the tin they were baked. I loved the new souffle clay - it was so soft and easy to get started. No hurting my hands rolling it to get it warmed and soft.


It had been such a job getting out the oven, taking it outdoors, getting electrical cords run from the house, so I made more clay shapes from my success. Here you can see how perfectly the eye fits! It takes me twice as long to insert an eyeball because getting the extra piece in the back is as tricky as installing an eyeball.

So here is the crew for the week. On the left is the doll with the fixed eyes (which I see in the picture need to be cleaned up), next is Kameko, then Isis and then one of the Ching family.  I see now that I should not put blue eyes in Isis and that I will have to paint all of her AA. Hope those brown eyes show up soon.


I did get another crocheted nest done and let Jenny Wren try it out. She was very happy in it. I was holding her while Dorise was here and found out how stiff she feels. When I got her I found her very cuddly but now, after holding my babies, she seems stiff and unbend-able. Still no one can find a better face. I have looked all over and never found a face I loved as much as this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment