Monday, June 15, 2015

I don't know how many of you recognize this baby from the ads on eBay from Chinese doll makers. They usually sell for about $118 with free shipping, but one night I clicked into eBay and found this  one in an action going for just over $50. I bid and minutes later I won her. It takes about a month to get anything won at auction from China so I had almost forgotten getting her because it is such a fluke. I never bid on finished dolls - only kits. On the BB forum someone had posted, "never buy the cheap dolls from China." and now I had one. I was eager to check her out in the only way I knew - I took her all apart.
I found she was made with a great deal of hand care and came with a COA that she was the 89th out of 1000. Even the lumps around plastic cable ties had been hand-sewn into neatness. I had the feeling her clothes were made for dolls and not babies, though I loved these embroidered jeans. I felt her body was way too fat and was eager to see how it was stuffed. The arms, legs and head where not weighted with beads or bags of anything but in her butt was a handmade pouch of white plastic pellets.
Her body, head and legs were stuffed with clean new good quality fiberfill. The arms were stuffed with something that looked like waste from some fabric machines. However everything was clean, there was no smell to any of it. I did not feel I needed to wash my hands immediately after working with her. See how her arms and legs seem too thin for her body and how dumb the mohair is?
Would you believe this is the same child? She has been Americanized.

I have come to the decision that rooted mohair only looks good on newborns and babies of this larger size look better with a real wig. I love her as a blonde and am impressed all over again with her smile and face. She even fulfilled my desire to have at least one baby of the week looking pleasant.
Here I had a brown curly wig on her and Eden, to her left, was trying on the blonde wig, At Dolls by Sandie I found new wigs that are made with a lot less hair so they look better on very young than the way-too-think ones on toddler children. Looking at the photos here I think I will give her the blonde wig back tomorrow. Thank goodness I have another one! She was very delighted with the sleeper she picked out when she found out it, too, was made in China. If the sun shines tomorrow it is photo day.

Oh, I almost forgot! Felicity made by Linda Macario, (LE 9/300) was also in this crew. Yesterday when I stopped work the last thing I did was to re-position her eyes (in those big teat-like shapes), glue them in place and set her head aside to dry right. This morning it looked as if someone had been playing in my studio in the night or the dolls had had a party. Felicity's left eye was moved so much that part of the colored iris was hidden. I did go ahead to stuff her body but set both head and body aside until I get those eyes glued in properly. She does not look happy but at least both eyes are looking in a similar direction. This was the first time I used 1/2 arms that had the curve in the stuffed fabric part. Always something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment