Thursday, May 7, 2015

Over a 2 weeks ago there were several items listed on eBay by someone who was making private parts for dolls. Hmmm I thought and moved on to other things. A couple days later I looked again and there were no more offers. Hmmm I thought and wondered if the person had sold them all so quickly, but was not surprised. Or had eBay banned them? Then I was looking at dolls on Etsy (they still keep me as member!?!) and lo and behold, there was a blurry photo of the parts for sale. On a whim (it was late at night) I ordered one boy part. It arrived on Tues.
It was beautifully packaged (in a diaper! ha) in a red organdy bag along with another bag of sticky velcro dots to fix it to the baby's belly. However, as I examined the piece I felt I had seen better boy parts. Not detachable ones with velcro dots but definitely better ones. Then yesterday sitting down to work I found my mind imagining how to make better boy-parts. I had other things to do, but I could not get the idea out of my head.
Nolan's head laid on the basket of wool. I had spent over an hour the day before trying to get his eyes in. I used every tool and trick I knew and I swear the boy blinked. Nothing would slide into place. As I sat looking at him I recalled that the woman who sent him to me had included a gift of a set of eyes she discredited their worth by saying they had glue on them. They did but a fingernail took it off. Then I realized she had probably sent the proper eyes for Nolan. She had! Within seconds Nolan's eyes were in place. That was so easy.
Now I had time and energy left over while I waited for the glue to dry to make boy parts. I dug the stash of poly-clay out to find the body color was too old to knead (it only crumbled) but I had a bit of beige that was workable. I kneaded in some pink, but not nearly long enough - it hurt my hands and I was eager to see what kind of boy-part was in me.
Even though the studio was still cold from overnight, the sun had not yet come through the clouds, I was happy. I wondered why, all winter when I was looking for a new old-woman's life of art, why I did not get out the poly-clay. This was fun.
By lunch time I had in my old baking dish:
After lunch I had the energy to dig the oven out of the bottom of the cupboard, set it up, check it and found it was still workable. I didn't trust the old oven (Jody had given it to me many years ago when she got a new one) so I kept an eye on it, but it was trusty and not so rusty.
At first I thought getting my versions baked was satisfying enough but no, I had to see if the holes I had put in it to sew it to the cloth body worked. They did.
Later Ling-yen reminded me that I had to take HIS hair ribbon off now.

No comments:

Post a Comment