Monday, April 13, 2015

What a terrible day in the studio nursery. It was like a possession. On Saturday  a woman called late in the evening, and wanted to visit the next day but wanted to come at 9 in the morning. I had my work all planned out with Candy and much prefer visits in the afternoon but she pleaded so much so I said okay. I knew the studio was in a mess due to Saturday's work that was still on-going. I did not sleep very well because I felt I should get up and go out and clean. It was a cold night so I stayed in bed and vowed to get up early. Which I did. At nine o'clock the phone rings and she cancels the appointment. I was upset to have had so many disturbed hours but also relieved that I could work on Candy as I planned.
As I worked on her I had a bad feeling about the shape of her body sleeve but was determined to finish her in the time I had. I even glued her connections in an effort to keep things rolling along. In the afternoon Ling-Yen stopped by, held all the new babies and we had a good talk until Werner came out to remind us that it was 1:15 and he still expected a lunch. Ling-Yen, well trained as she is, left immediately and I came in to have a cold  lunch of chicken breast and V8 juice.
When I got back to the studio I saw, with clear well-fed eyes that Candy was wrong. So I tore everything apart while the glue was damp enough for a  changed mind. I began to flounder. I could not find a body that felt right for her. So I thought I would go paint hair on Crystal, Cookie and Ladybug. That did not feel right either so I cleaned up the baby clothes scattered over every thing. Then it hit me. These three big dolls did not need painted hair. They were being made for other projects and could and should wear wigs. Whew, that was close.
I got out my stash of wigs and not only was able to find appropriate wigs for the three big girls (Lovebug looks really sweet with her choice of hair) but found one tiny wig. A light went on in my head and I looked up to see the baby I had put the wooden spoon in as her spine. At the time I told myself I would keep her (and my spoon). This poor dear had been called Samantha but now I had a Samantha ordered from BB so she needed a new name.
  With the long blonde pigtails I asked for a name for her. All I came up with was Madchen,  the German word for girl. When I started to make her bracelet, I saw that Crystal's was way too small so I took her's apart to make it the right size. I still do not have my new glasses and working with the beads that I could not see clearly really put me in a bad mood. To get out of it, I just sat and rocked Madchen even though she was bald again and she had no bracelet.
With my last efforts I got Madchen's bracelet made, her new wig glued on (it fell off otherwise) and found her a nice new sleeper. I then realized it was too late to photograph her so I plunked her down in front of her brothers and sneaked this shot. She looks a bit woe-be-gone and I feel I made her changes too fast to get them done right and keep her comfortable with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment